Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Introduction

My first blog - how exciting!  My name is Theresa Roma (formerly Theresa Wagner) and I am passionate about Disability Studies and the equal treatment of people with a disability.  I grew up in a very open family that was accepting of everyone.  My grandmother worked as a recreational therapist at the West Seneca Developmental Center, where I would often come volunteer.  Growing up, I was always taught to ignore and not believe all the media and common stereotypes associated with members of society that had intellectual disabilities.  My cousins and I were quick to learn that "retard" was not a term to be used in our slang conversation.  I guess I never realized that this was an intro to my focus and passion in the field. 

I moved to California and attended University of California, Los Angeles.  In the last trimester of my junior year, Disability Studies became offered as a minor.  I jumped on the opportunity and became the first person to graduate with this minor from UCLA.  I loved these classes and really enjoyed learning the history, the laws, and the misconceptions of people with a disability.  By senior year I made a realization that I wanted to direct my career in this field - specifically as a professor.

I moved back to my hometown of Buffalo, NY and started working in the insurance industry.  I completed a Master's Degree in Adult Education with a concentration on Disability Studies from Buffalo State College.  Unfortunately, now, the closest thing to my passion is issuing disability policies for people that become disabled outside of the workplace.   Not at all what I anticipated.  But, I am fortunate to have a good and stable job and still able to pursue my passion in a different venue such as this.  I am also hoping to start teaching a course on Disability Studies under the Sociology Department within the year.

I look forward to continuing these posts and sharing with you much of the research I have done and will continue to do in the field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment